12 June 2012

Jam-Making Miracles


We snagged the morning yesterday to do some strawberry u-pick.
It took under an hour to fill up nearly five buckets.

The berries sat on the counter all day.  I dreaded the moment I would dive in and start the jam-making process.  Mess, chaos, frustration, a hurting back...I could see it all (because I've done it before)!

I've been praying, though, this past week or so, for the wisdom to bring out my children's potentials, for the ability to create order, for focus, for clarity in breaking projects down into small, doable parts.  These are skills I seriously lack; they make me stress and panic and sweat and yes, sometimes scream.

After dinner Brian took off for a meeting.  I knew it was time.  I brought everyone in from playing in the perfect evening weather.  We put on aprons and I started delegating.  It was about 7:00.

I put three cutting boards on the table with a container of strawberries at each spot.  A large pot and a compost bucket sat in the middle.  The potato masher went into the pot.



One helper stayed in the kitchen and helped me measure sugar, get containers, stir, mash, and wash.  The kitchen helper rotated as stem-cutters finished their containers.


By 7:50 the strawberries were jam, nearly all the dishes but the last were clean, and the table was tidy.
We even had time to read The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher by Molly Bang, thankful the Strawberry Snatcher hadn't come to our home!

Brian walked in at 9:00 and said "Wow."

He knew, more than anyone else could ever, that a jam-making miracle had taken place.

Never, never, could it have happened by myself...only God can give skills and wisdom in organization to someone who just doesn't have them.  He hears and He answers prayer.

Though the evening had a brief moment of frustration, I could see God there with me, helping us, encouraging my heart, and so I give Him praise.



3 comments:

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

Love this Dayna. I can just imagine you all in there working. I appreciate your desire to have your children work with you in the beauty of a classic skill, I really need to do that more with my own. Great pics too.

Desiree said...

Praise the Lord. God meets us...he really does. You recognize His doing in the routine which is an encouragement and challenge to me. I am hoping for my own jam miracle tomorrow. :) Love You, Dayna.

Desiree said...

Praise the Lord. God meets us...he really does. You recognize His doing in the routine which is an encouragement and challenge to me. I am hoping for my own jam miracle tomorrow. :) Love You, Dayna.