23 May 2012

The Flip



I sit on the couch any given morning, the patter of children not yet heard.  I draw back the curtains, pour coffee, pray, and read.

Lately I've been watching the house across the street being flipped.  After a foreclosure, the purchaser at auction is revamping it for resale.

In one day the color changed from purple-blue to sandstone.  The trim moved from periwinkle to deep earthy-brown.  The door went from white to eggplant-brown.  My eyes adjusted quickly, as the change was beautiful.

Still, the yard.  Our former neighbor loved gardening and planted much.  But the last two years of neglect showed in an overgrown, weedfull, mish-mash landscape.

We watched with astonishment as a landscape team came and worked for two days.
My husband said, "I want them to come and do that to our yard."

Neat, orderly, visually satisfying.  I've never seen it lovelier.



I haven't seen much inside, but I'd guess it's the same.

It's a total flip.



So I sit on the couch in the early morn, and I read in 1 Corinthians 6:

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived:  Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers, nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.  And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."


The house across the street is a picture of the miracle I so often forget.  A miracle of a changed heart.  Before Jesus, I was dirty, rundown, neglected, dark, and deceived.  But I was washed clean, purified, made holy, given good standing before God.  All because of the life of Jesus living in me.


I think that's an incomparable flip.

Text from 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, bold mine.  Photos from Aunt Lorna of the cherry orchard in bloom.

No comments: