26 July 2011

Goodness in Grime

Every time I pass our compost bin I think of this verse:

He has sent me...[Jesus]
to bestow on them a crown of 
      beauty
   instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
   instead of mourning
and a garment of praise
   instead of despair.
They will be called oaks of 
      righteousness,
  a planting of the LORD
  for the display of his
     splendor.
Isaiah 61.1-3


The vines came from last years' old pumpkins or squash...
we're still waiting to find out which.

They sat all the winter and sprung to life among the food
scraps, egg shells, grasses and leaves.

It's a smelly place.  A lot like my own soul.

But eighteen years ago I asked this God to change me.
To plant Himself within me.

His seed growing in me and giving life, beauty, fruit...
for the display of His splendor.

And He always keeps His promises.  He will accomplish
what He's set out to do.

And you, too, if you've asked Him to change you.
I dare you....Go back and read the above passage with
your name in place of "they" and "them."