22 October 2010

the gift of Wonder

He said he'd make the pancakes and pack up lunches for us.  So I took a cup of coffee and snuck out the door to experience the morn awake.

I entered the field and puff ball clouds filled with black, outlined with gold, set on a gorgeous blue sky thrilled my heart.  At the horizon hazy evergreens bordered a rising sun, colors of every sort calling out to be admired.

It was no longer possible to keep this beauty to myself and I ran back in for unsuspecting children to "come outside, quick!"  And together we stood awed, describing the colors, shapes, happenings as best we could. 

The heavens declare the glory of God and I continually pray this truth will be deeply instilled in my children; these childhood years will train them to find treasures in nature always waiting for discovery.


I sing the mighty power of God that made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at His command and all the stars obey.



I sing the goodness of the Lord that filled the earth food;
He formed the creatures with His Word,
and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed where'er I turn my eye:
If I survey the ground I tread or gaze upon the sky!


There's not a plant or flow'r below but makes Thy glories known;
And clouds arise and tempests blow by order from Thy throne,
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care,
And ev'rywhere that man can, Thou, God, art present there.



photos: trip to the pumpkin patch, text: psalm 19,  hymn: I Sing the Mighty Power of God...Isaac Watts

No comments: