26 October 2011

Turn Back to Praise


We're headed west with the sun and the sign says one-hundred-and-ninety-two miles till the city near where we live.  I've got some hours of hands on the wheel and this time I need it.

My heart is full and I need some forced sitting time to filter and soak and think and pray.
I'm overfull. 

How does one keep all the wonder and thankfulness and joy within from those surprise gifts that sometimes come one's way?

I share in tears with my husband the beauty of the weekend moments.  He said I needed to blog about it.
But how do I blog about the sacred with out desecrating it?

About the seven and eight year-old niece and nephew baptised with so much of my family standing around in support?  With the two pastors and many others who've been spiritual examples to me nearly all my life?
About the words of that seven year-old boy before the church..."I want to follow Jesus in every circumstance of my life, no matter what happens"?

And how do I even begin to share the depth of emotion when that seven year-old nephew gathers all the family together after a chili lunch for prayer time..."to thank God for this awesome day"?.  When have we ever gathered together except before a meal for a prayer of thankfulness?  A time so poignant and pregnant with emotion part of me wanted to just head on up to heaven right. now.

Because for that moment the world was all as it should be.
Those I love and share blood ties with all were focused on what really matters.
Our perspective was right, holy, pleasing to our Creator.  We were right with each other and right with God.
We experienced a moment in time that will last for eternity.

The echo of words from 3John haunt me..."I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."
And other words..."a little child shall lead them."

My friend said I need a memento to remind me of that moment...when the world was all as it should be.

I pray with David, as I acknowledge the blessing of the moment, and turn it back to praise...
"Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?...How great you are, O Sovereign LORD!  There is no one like you, and there is no one but you, as we have heard with our own ears."

And I boldly pray now, O LORD, that You hear the prayers we prayed that afternoon and answer them fully and completely, that those great-grandchildren would always walk in the paths of God, and that the rest of the great-grandchildren would choose God's ways as well...

"be pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever in your sight; for you, O Sovereign LORD have spoken, and with your blessing the house of your servant will be blessed forever."

How does one keep all the wonder and thankfulness and joy within from those surprise gifts that sometimes come one's way?  By turning it back to praise.


text: 2 Samuel 7

No comments: