08 October 2011

Returning

I get discouraged.

It is easy, being in a discouraged state, to begin to blame.
Not even knowing it's happening, blaming needs a target.
A target that's big and "out there" and in charge.
All the sudden I'm blaming God for my bad mood, little annoyances,
and continual frustrations.

(How could it be His fault that TWO kitchen table chairs were broken
beyond repair in TWO days?  I could go on...but so what?)

This happened a Saturday not long ago.  I kept repeating to myself, "I'm not going to church tomorrow, I'm not."

But I did.  And He blessed me with His encouragement and love.  I, a little scared kitten needing warmth and comfort, was given what I needed.  My heart softened.

It also happened one morning not long ago.  I said to myself, "We're skipping our Bible lesson this morning, we are."  But as we began the morning I couldn't help saying..."we need to read just one verse."

It's all He needs to soften me and meet me.  Just a few words to sink in.  Just a choice to return to the source of Truth and Peace and Joy.

I never regret returning.

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."


My prayer this week for my family, myself, and others:

"May the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."


-from Romans 15

No comments: