05 April 2011

A Recipe with Comments from the Tasters

I started making this last spring or so.
Every time I make a different chicken soup than this one I wish I'd used this recipe instead.
So I guess it's become a winner in our home.
And it's beautiful to look at.
I don't have pictures.  Here's our pizza making instead.

Not quite sure why there are sweet pea seeds next to the pizza pan

But here is the recipe with comments to follow:

Chicken Vegetable Soup
3-lb. whole chicken
Cook chicken in water with celery leaves, outer onion skin, a few snapped in half carrots, garlic cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, generally all veggies you don't want any more.  And some salt.
Remove chicken after about an hour of light boiling and cool.  Remove meat from bone and cut into bite-size pieces.  Remove the stuff from the broth and cool broth in fridge. Skim fat off.  (Of course, you can just use store bought broth instead.)

3 cups carrots, diced
2 cups celery, diced
2 medium onions, diced
1 medium parsnip (or 2), diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
In large soup pot saute in 2 T. olive oil. Add a little water for steam.  (Not sure what that last part means).

1/2 t. ground red pepper (I omit for young tastebuds)
salt and pepper to taste
Add and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender but not mushy.  15 minutes.  Add water to chicken broth to make 12 cups.  Add to soup mixture along with cooked chicken.

2 cups broccoli florets, chopped to bite size
2 cups kale, chopped
1 1/2 t. fresh dill or 1/2 t. dried
Add, bring to biol, reduce heat and simmer to blend flavors.
(I am not a big dill fan so was wary here, but it's really good, it actually makes the soup.)

Simply in Season, p. 189


Comments:

"Does this have sugar in it?"  8 year-old boy

"This is great!  Can I have seconds?"  10 year-old boy

"The broth.  Oh, the broth is soooo good!"  8 year-old boy

"I guess I can eat all of this without complaining." 6 and 4 year-olds

"Not eating it on my life!  Just like about everything else you serve for dinner."  2 year-old boy